top of page
  • Writer's pictureSELECT Restoration

7 Things to Know About Filing a Property Damage Claim

Property damage claims relating to water damage and fire damage come in many shapes and sizes. Many insurance companies have developed guidelines and parameters in agreement with contractors to assure clear and consistent work practices and to support a collaborative and integrated approach to claims management.

There are many reasons why you may need to make a property claim. After a rainstorm, sewage could back up into your flooded basement. Your home could be burglarized and vandalized. A fire damage could destroy your kitchen. Or catastrophic storm damage could destroy your property.

The amount you receive for your loss will depend on the type of coverage and the insurance policy you have. In addition to claiming for water damaged or fire damaged property, you may be eligible for additional living expense reimbursement, in certain circumstances, if you need to move elsewhere while repairs are completed on your property.

If you are the victim of theft, burglary or vandalism, contact the police right away.

7 Things to Know When Filing a Property Damage Insurance Claim

After any property damage incident, contact your insurance representative as soon as possible. Here are 7 things to know about making a home or commercial insurance claim, and how the claims management process works.

  1. Call your insurance company as soon as possible and report the property damage. Most companies have 24-hour claims service. If you need immediate after-hours emergency cleanup service please contact us.

  2. Details are important and will help you. Provide as much information as possible about the circumstances and cause of the property damage. Take photographs if it is safe to do so.

  3. If your home is unfit to live in, ask your insurer about the additional living expenses you may be covered for. Keep all receipts and invoices for additional living expenses after your loss.

  4. A claims specialist or adjuster (who is paid by your insurance company) will contact you to investigate the circumstance of the loss, examine documentation and explain the next steps. Your property claim adjuster will also:

    1. Determine the facts related to the claim and the extent of what is covered by your insurance policy.

    2. Attempt to reach an agreement with any other people involved about the amount of their loss and extent of their responsibility.

  5. Your insurance company will ask you to complete and return a sworn statement and proof of loss form after the property damage. If any of the statements you make on the form are untrue, your insurance and claim may be voided. This form lists the property and/or items that were damaged or lost, and their estimated value or cost. On the form, you will be asked to:

    1. Make a complete list of all unsalvagable, damaged, destroyed or stolen items. If possible please attach proofs of purchase, receipts, police reports, owner’s manuals and warranty.

    2. Attach photos of the water damaged or fire damaged items. Keep damaged items unless they are dangerous or a health hazard. A current home inventory can help if you experience a loss. We can assist in itemizing and documenting your damaged property.

    3. Sign and swear that the statements you make in the proof of loss are true.

  6. Review your policy and become familiar with specified deductibles, coverage limits and replacement values.

    1. If you make a claim, the amount you receive will depend on the type of coverage you have by your insurer.

    2. Insurance companies generally have three options for your damaged or stolen items:

      • Repair

      • Replace

      • Reimburse

Time Matters When You Have Property Damage

Your insurance policy requires that you take all necessary steps to limit further property damage after discovering flood damage or fire damage. Ask your insurance representative if you can hire a local restoration contractor or supplier of your choice to do repairs. If so, discuss the costs. Make sure your contractor or supplier respects the price and specifications that you and your insurer agree on.

Make Us Your FIRST CALL in an Emergency

Our guaranteed 24 Hour Inspection Report provides you and your insurance company with an early indicator of potential damage, enabling your adjuster to understand the scope of work and how best to utilize your policy limits.

Many insurance companies require a standard 24 Hour Inspection Report to ensure timely receipt of damage assessments, allowing them to assess coverage and authorize work in a timely manner.

This form confirms:

  • Basic administrative information

  • Cause of loss based on the condition of premises on arrival

  • Emergency work performed

  • Pack-out strategy (removing contents) if required

  • Budget for work to be done in subsequent days

  • Estimated scope for repairs

If you have a property damage insurance claim and require an emergency cleanup service in Toronto, get the immediate help you need and the peace of mind you deserve. Time matters when you have unexpected water damage or fire damage in your Toronto home. Remember that your insurance company requires you to act responsibly and take immediate action to limit further property damage. Mold damage can begin within 48 hours and flood damage should be extracted, cleaned and dried immediately.

Make us your FIRST CALL for 24/7 emergency service and FAST property damage inspection in the Greater Toronto Area.


261 Bering Avenue, Unit 2

Toronto, ON

M8Z 3A5

☎️ Office: 905-499-3765

☎️ 24-Hour: 1-833-24EMERG

📢 “Call them first!” 📢

🔥 Voted Best Smoke, Fire and Soot Damage Restoration in Toronto, ON

💧 Voted Best Flood Damage Restoration and Water Cleanup in Toronto, ON


bottom of page