How to Use a Space Heater Safely
Space heaters can provide extra warmth in a drafty room or chilly home office, but they can also be dangerous if they are not used carefully. Half of all home heating fires happen during the months of December, January and February and they are mostly caused when a heater (typically an electric one) is placed too close to curtains, bedding or upholstered furniture.
Space Heater Safety Tips
1) Place the heater on a hard, level and nonflammable surface. These appliances are intended to sit on the floor, not on a table!
2) Establish a 3 foot kid and pet-free zone around the heater, and never put a space heater in a child’s room.
3) Keep the space heater at least 3 feet away from combustible materials, such as furniture, bedding and curtains. A taller heater may need to be even farther away.
4) Don’t use a heater in a workshop or garage near paint, gas cans or matches.
5) Turn it off when you leave the room or go to bed.
6) Unplug the heater when it’s not in use by pulling the plug straight from the outlet. Check the cord for damage periodically, and don’t use the heater if the cord is frayed or worn.
7) Don’t plug another electrical device or an extension cord into the same outlet as a heater, that can cause overheating.
8) Install working smoke alarms on every level of your home and in every bedroom. Check their batteries regularly and test them monthly.
9) Make sure your space heater carries safety certification, has an automatic shutoff feature, a GFI plug and a sturdy cord.
24-Hour Fire, Smoke and Soot Cleanup and Restoration Services
If your home or business experiences fire or smoke damage, call SELECT Restoration Services in Toronto right away at (416) 236-0660 for 24-hour emergency service.
24-Hour Emergency Restoration Services in the Toronto Area
At SELECT Restoration Services we provide rapid and superior disaster recovery and reconstruction services after water damage, fire damage, storms and other emergencies. Our customers and insurance partners depend on us to provide the guidance, expertise and personalized care needed to ensure life gets back to normal, quickly. We have established relationships with major insurance companies, as well as property management and commercial clients.
As a full-service disaster recovery company specializing in property damage insurance claims, we handle the cleanup and restoration project from start to finish. Our goal is to help you by streamlining the claims process while minimizing costs to achieve peace of mind knowing that your property is in very good hands. By partnering with SELECT Restoration Services you eliminate the hassle of hiring a separate company for reconstruction services. This will save time and money while reducing the number of providers involved in the property damage process.
✅ 5 Star Google Reviews
✅ 10 Star Reviews on Homestars
✅ Toronto Star Diamond Award 2021 - Fire Restoration Company
✅ Toronto Star Gold Award - Water Restoration Company
✅ Toronto Star Platinum Award 2020 - Fire Restoration Company
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide the guidance, expertise and personalized care needed to ensure your life gets back to normal after fire or water damage. Our IICRC trained and certified technicians work by your side providing efficient water damage restoration and fire damage repair services with expert guidance. If you need a fire and water damage company in the Greater Toronto Area, call SELECT Restoration Services for 24/7 emergency property damage inspection, cleanup and repair service.
SELECT Restoration Services
261 Bering Avenue, Unit 2
☎️ Toronto: 416-236-0660
☎️ GTA: 416-236-0660
☎️ 24-Hour: 1-833-24EMERG
📢 CALL THEM FIRST!